27 Oct 2010

one month in.

Good morning Manhattan!
So a month has passed since I hit the big apple and so much has happened in this time. The Pictet gallery morning latte which was so quickly substituted for a "vanilla single shot soya iced starbucks " has taken a backseat as I replace it with instant coffee in my small east village kitchen. Living a champagne lifestyle on beer money - harder to adapt than anticipated! Life is pretty sweet at the moment. I am loving the fast paced New Yorker ways... A week in and I was already venturing the world of laundrettes. Here I was, lunging my laundry 2 blocks down 2nd avenue to do my first bit of own washing. May i stress there is a huge gap in the "laundrette world" for bars. Seriously, forget meeting new people at your local pub - the new this is to hang out at the laundrette. My mind was clocking how much cash i could make selling beers in that place. Plenty may I add. Next time I shall be taking a 6pack with me and assessing margins for profit. (people spend a couple of hours at least chatting as they patiently wait for their whites and colours to spin in that machine)... food for thought. 
 ‎"Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."-- Howard Thurman 
Global Potential has been inspirational so far! I have been so fortune- meeting people of all backgrounds, ages and styles . I really hope to be giving back as much as I feel i have gained. The program is great and myself and Renoly Santiago are running workshops at one of the schools 2 times a week on leadership skills etc... the class varies with 15-20 kids participating each week - its been awesome.  Popping to the Bronx, Brooklyn, meandering my way through different cultures- so diverse.  The GP program at CDI will be staring on Friday... here's a chance for the students at the school to get involved in their communities - action plans, setting goals, solving problems!

1 comment: